Monday, October 6, 2008

Santa and Christmas


So I have no time right now...because we are trying to get this house all packed up to move...but I just have to post and get some ideas from all of you!


We were driving home for school today and here is how the conversation went:
Tiger: Mom, is Christmas going to be here soon?
Me: In a few months.
Tiger: December, right?
Me: Right
Cutie: Mom, is Santa real?
Little Guy: YES! He is real!
Cutie: No, mom...seriously, is he real?
Me: He is as real as you think he is. (I know, so lame...but I didn't want to ruin it for Little Guy)
Cutie: Mom you aren't answering the question. (she is so smart)
Little Guy: Cutie! He is real. He lives right by Cheesecake Factory. (He is referring to the Santa at the mall)
Tiger: No, Little Guy, that is Santa's helper...the real Santa lives at the North Pole.
Cutie: MOM! Is he real? We learned about St. Nick in history...and it doesn't seem like he is real.
Me: Cutie, why don't we talk about Santa when dad is home!
Cutie: I knew he wasn't real.
Little Guy: YES HE IS...HE LIVES BY THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY!(hard not to laugh each time he says that)
Cutie: Okay! Mom, when will dad be home?

My heart is a little sad that the fairy tale we have allowed her to believe in is over. However, I am just hoping that she isn't upset or disappointed in me for allowing her to believe. Although, I don't remember how old I was when I learned the truth...so wish me luck as I break the news every so gently to my eight year old! Any ideas?
(side note: my children do know the true meaning of Christmas)

7 comments:

A Farmer's Wife said...

Oh!!! I was devastated when my friends at school informed me that Santa wasn't real! Absolutely devastated!!! My parents were honest with me when I confronted them (my Mom also waited for my Dad to get home and I think that's a great idea you had). They also reaffirmed the true meaning of Christmas and somehow re-hearing the story of Christ's birth made me feel much better! Good luck!!! Please let us know how it goes!!!

Cathi Hamen said...

i thought you did a great job with all ages present in the car...
my oldest responded similarly a year or two ago but has resigned now to believe "nod nod wink wink" for her sisters sake.. although I wonder when it will come up with her this year...
besides you said it yourself you don't remember how old you were when you stopped believing in the big red guy .. so it isn't really that devastating or damaging to you and it wont be to our sweet kids either... its more fun for now and then they grow out of it! have fun while she says cute things about him living by chzcake factory besides that could be why he's soo jolly!
& they know the true meaning and i think thats why it isn't so devastating... they have bigger and deeper things to Believe and Trust in!!

Sara@iSass said...

I got this! I may not know every answer but I got this one. (the bonus is Cutie learned about St. Nick in history.) When I questioned Santa I was maybe 8-10. When I said I didn't believe anymore I had a few less gifts that year. (Don't believe, no gifts come from "Santa") The next year my smarter older sister said "Oh I still believe in Santa. She got gifts from Santa. The NEXT year I asked to go see Santa at the mall. Yeah, I still believe in Santa and he STILL brings me a stocking full of goodies. NOT that it's about the gifts Santa brings. (Something I started with my kiddos, for every good deed they do we add straw to the basket. While the kiddos sleep X-mas eve santa fills the stockings,leaves a few gifts and baby jesus arrives in the basket.)
Good Luck. It is so sad when the magic starts to fade...

Shan said...

I still tell my 17 & 20 year olds there is a Santa! And now Mandy in the last few years has figured it out but I tell them all - Yes there is a Santa and if you choose to not believe you might not get any presents! They just laugh. At our house it's all in good fun. But I do tell them that we give gifts to others because of the gift that Christ gave us! It's not about what we receive but how we share God's love.

Unknown said...

I still get gifts from Santa! What, you are telling me he isn't real?

I have no idea how my parents broke it to me. I think I really just figured it out on my own. My other relatives let it slip. The gifts never changed, so it wasn't a big deal.

Blake and Hollie said...

We always new the true meaning of Christmas too, but still believed in Santa. I have no idea when I stopped believing. Btw, I don't have any advice I haven't come to that road yet. Khari figured it out on her own. Then they watch the Polar Express and they second guess themselves. GL

Mom 2*4 said...

OH, Nyla! I don't look forward to this day for me!!!! I have a few more years, I hope. But, I think my own parents would have robbed me from such "magic" by taking "Santa" away. I love the wonder it adds to the holiday-I found out because Santa's handwriting strangely was my mom's. I was in 4th grade. Best of luck!!! I love this site! How do you have time to keep it up!?!!?!?!