Saturday, April 26, 2008

Loving Chloe Time

So this afternoon we are planning on going to LA to the American Girl Place for Chloe and Siena's birthday. Chloe and I have been looking forward to this all month. I treasure these girl days, when it is just the two of us. I know that she is growing up so fast and these moments I have with her are just that...moments...soon she will be on her own with her own children.

So she bounces in my room this am and asks me to staighten her hair for her. This something I don't do often for her because I don't want to ruin her hair...but today is a special today...so I agree to straighten it for her. We are looking into the bathroom mirror talking of how excited we are to have the day together....and then she says:

Chloe: Mom, I really liked the way Siena's mom did her hair a few days ago.
Me: Oh, how did Aunt Carrie do Siena's hair?
Chloe: It was so beautiful mom. She had the sides pulled back into a braid. And the hair on the back of her head was still down. It was so pretty! Can you do that mom?
Me: Well, I certainly would love to try.
I begin trying to do this hairstyle for her...I am struggling...my tongue is out of my mouth and the sweat beads are forming on my forehead. I am so not a hair mom...she can see that it isn't going to look anything like Siena's.
Chloe: Mom, let's not do it today.
Me: (with a sigh of relief) Are you sure honey? I would really like to try for you.
Chloe: Yeah, it's okay mom. You know sometimes I wish you were good at stuff like that...you know like Aunt Carrie and Mrs. Reynolds.
Me: I know honey, I wish I was too. I am sorry.
Chloe: Oh, it is okay mom. I still love you!
Me: I love you to honey...maybe we could try and find a class to go to that teaches you how to braid and do girly hair.
Chloe: Sure, if you want...but we don't have to...I love you.
It was as if she could sense my feelings of failure and wanted me to know she still loved me inspite of my inability to do hair dos!

I LOVE BEING CHLOE'S MOM!

4 comments:

Shan said...

That is very sweet! I love when they do that :} sweet girls! p.s. your hair and her hair always look just fine!

Niles said...

Nyla, it is important that you are savoring these precious moments with your pride and joy! I know we still can't believe you and Janelle have been gone for so long and many times we wish we could roll the clock back and do it again - only this time savor the moments like you seem to be.

Mom and Dad

Blake and Hollie said...

How cute. I am glad you are enjoying being a mom. Having a 10 year old (almost 11) has been a hard year for me. But it is getting better again. I missed the younger age of my daugther. Wow! American Girl, that sounds so fun. BTW...how do you straighten hair. Khari asks me all the time and I have no idea.

Senior Gordon's said...

This was very sensitive of Chloe. You are such a sensible, sensitive and loving mom and dad. Chloe, Bryce and Levi are benefiting from you and Tom's unique parenting style. I am so proud of Blake and Hollie too. Lookout world...we have an awesome generation coming!

Love, Aunt Penny & Uncle Mike oxox