Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Finding the Perfect Swim Suit...STINKS

I have to start off by saying that I absolutely hate shopping for a suit. If you are one of those people that love it...and always find a million suits that look great on you...keep your comments to yourselves! :) I hate it!

I also need to say that I work out, I eat pretty healthy...and yet I still have this mommy tummy and bum that won't stop! I should probably mention here that if I still lived in IL I would not be complaining. However I wouldn't give up my lifestyle here to go back there!

Can you tell that I just came home from the mall? I tried on a ton of suits...and the depression started at suit number 3. I thought maybe the first two suits were just the wrong style...then after suit 3,4,5,6,7,8...I began to think maybe it wasn't the suit, but ME! Oh, and how about the girls that work at the store . They are size 2! Cute little things! No Way I am opening the door to let them look at my 34ish body! I know that I need help while trying the suits on...but I just can't make myself open the door for them! They don't need to see how once you have kids...and nurse each one of those precious babies...things starting heading south!
So then I tried to tell myself it is the mirror and lighting...so I better go try a different store. While at store number two, I realize all the girls in the line to try on suits are smaller than me...have no tummies and amazing bums! I guess I should also mention that they were all 20 something...which only made me think back to when I was 20 something...I wish I enjoyed that 20 something body more! Ugh, but I didn't. So there I was in store #2...hating myself. Oh, then I decided it was store #2...better move on to store #3. I tried on three more...and settled with a suit. I came home and put it on for my amazing husband!

He really is amazing...I could have put a potato sack on and he would have thought it was hot! (I wanted to put on a potato sack) Anyway, he said he thought it was great. My children all loved it too! My son said, Whoo - Mom you look nice! So why am I still not satisfied? Because I still need to shop for a suit! I called my girlfriend (who will remain nameless) and she came right over...and she shot it to me straight! "Nyla, I think it is okay, but it looks like a mom suit!" I wanted to hug her for her honesty...I love true friends! (if you are reading this nameless friend, thanks for always being so honest! It is so refreshing to hear the truth! I love you)So we got out my old suits...and she convinced me that I am ready for a two piece...not a tankini! Can you believe that ! I am not sure that I can do it...but I want to try. Although I am not sure that I will. It helps to have friends help you see your body as they do. I have such poor body image! Oh and I need lots of that fake tan stuff for my belly...because it is as white as snow...because it hasn't seen the sun since the birth of my second child and the removal of my kidney. I am in a rush to find a suit because we leave Friday am really early to celebrate my hubby's birthday! So tomorrow I am returning the "mom suit". I am driving to her home to borrow a suit for my romantic getaway with my hubby. (if you think it is gross to borrow her suit...please don't comment on that either:) )

Okay I feel a little better now that I got that off my chest! I love being a mom and I am going to start loving my body too! Anyone else having trouble finding their suit and loving the body God gave them?

11 comments:

Blake and Hollie said...

YOu sound just like me! I am sure your hubby is right. You look amazing. From what I have seen in your photos you look great. However, I do know what you mean. Tyler wrecked my body. I wore a speedo in Tokyo and left the bikini in the suitcase. It doesn't look terrible, but it surely doesn't look like it did before and I am not at the acceptance stage. I just can't get comfortable in my skin. I hope you have a WONDERFUL time in your friend's suit (I don't think it is gross) and an awesome time with your hubby. YOU are beautiful!

Jen S said...

Nyla, you crack me up! I HATE swimsuit shopping too! And I'm sure ALL my swimsuits are "Mom" suits, so please don't tell me if they are. Oh well, I AM a mom and I don't think I need to look like a 20 year old! But, I understand you wanting to not look so "mommish" while on a romantic getaway with your hubby....although, as you said, he would think you look great no matter what you wear. :)

Suzy said...

haha! I JUST tried on about a million (okay really only like 5) last night! and I totally know what you are talking about.. only my problem is that we are the same size now, and I haven't had any kids yet - YIKES! I was trying on one pieces and it is soooo frustrating because I am pretty sure that they don't make one pieces for anyone over 5'6... by the time I stretch the bottom up to get the suit to properly cover my top half.. its just a mess.. and I look pretty doofey.. I normally take advantage of two pieces which I really do think look better than tankinis.. something about the way the tankini hits my "bump" makes me look even bigger.. but I have to get a one piece for church summer camp (going as a counselor).. I KNOW for a fact that you look great, and I will be sooo excited to look as good as you do after even one kid!!
PS.. Sorry for the longest comment ever! haha

Rachel said...

we all struggle with it... it is a horrible season... for me it is my thighs, I think I should wear pants in the ocean... ha ha!

Monique said...

I totally know how you feel. I was just there and find my self there every year. I kind of have a different perspective on swim suits. Basically in a nutshell, the Lord calls us to be "modest" and I don't think his standard of modesty changes upon location. I don't think anyone would where a two piece out at the mall or to church... right? But no one would wear full on clothes in the water either. So it is challenging. I basically look for the most modest suit that is still cute and doesn't make me look super frumpy. Hard but somewhat doable. I tend to try and hide the MOST intimate parts of my body that are only reserved for my husband (cleavage, tummy, etc) though you can't hide everything in a swim suit like the upper, upper thighs, etc. So that is how I shop and I encourage you to keep in mind God's standards while you shop (not trying to sound self righteous here). I was able to find one at Target that worked for me and it was an affordable price too! Though it is not super cute I feel OKAY wearing it because I think it is as modest as swim suits can get and yet still kind of cute. BTW, I think wearing a super cute and revealing suit for hubby is AWESOME and I'm sure he will too! :)

Cathi Hamen said...

All right Nyla... you look fabulous! Be proud of all the hard work you've put in this year..
there are always problem areas on everyone and no one is 100% satisfied with themselves thats why our gym is open 24 hours, so we can workout right after we oops pig out!
You are 34 and a PROUD Mama of 3 wonderful kids, yes that brings body changes... so many other wonderful things also go along with it!

so where are you going with Tom?? Have a SUPER DUPER time!!

Nyla said...

Thanks for the encouragement Cathi!

Tom and I are headed to Pechanga for his 38th b-day. We are doing a wine tour from 10-4...then we will hit the black jack tables! Saturday we will go to the spa...and then to the pool and hang out! We return Sunday! I am so excited! I am going to wear a bikini! Hope I can do it!:)

Alaina said...

I think that all women dread shopping for a bathing suit. Even though I am 23 I still have issue with it. As women we are constantly faced with these images of "perfect" bodies. The truth is that in many cases it is not our bathing suit that is making us feel uncomfortable, it is the idea in our heads that tell us to not show our imperfections. Honestly, the hottest thing about a woman is her confidence and how she feels about herself. If we could just accept our flaws and embrace our bodies we would be able to breath a little easier.

Unknown said...

Nyla, you are beautiful. I totally agree with Alaina-we have this unrealistic ideal we see all over the media.
That said, I struggle with my body image, too. It sounds like that's the consensus.
So let's all embrace our flaws and each other's flaws!
Ready? 1...2...3..embrace!

Cathi Hamen said...

Amen sistas!!! love Alaina!! youre soo wise yoou college grad!
Have a fun time at Pechanga.. "remember pots light!"
flaunt it!

Shan said...

I'm embracing...............