Saturday, June 28, 2008

The mornings...

I am so content right now. My entire family is still sleeping and it is 7:30. I know, you are probably thinking, "are you kidding me...7:30? " I know it is still early...but my family is always up so early. I like to get up at 4:45 and be at the gym by 5:15...or if I am not going to the gym, I will walk at 5:30...so when I get home I usually have 30 minutes before my little ones wake up. I can get a lot done in 30 minutes. I used to fill that time with folding laundry, putting away dishes from the dishwasher, picking up the living room...now I am filling that time with reading my bible. It is so much nicer to slow down and be with God.

I don't know if you are like me, (i hope not) and you tell yourself all day that you will pick up your bible and read it AFTER the house is picked up or the kids are all in bed for the night or once you pick up the kitchen, etc...I find myself some days only reading the bible with my children while I am doing devotions with them. Anyway, I have been thinking a lot lately how I need to make time with God alone each day. I need to let the dishes sit in the dishwasher a little longer, leave the clothes in the dryer a little longer...and take time with God. It makes the day so much smoother too when I start it off with Him...and not with housework. If you already know this and are doing it...well you are ahead of me! If you are like me...and need to make more alone time with God, do it today.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nyla, you inspire me so INCREDIBLY much! I love the way live your life with such grace and love your family and friends so well. I learn so much from you, and find myself imitating you in the way I take care of my house and love my family and friends. I often think to myself, "Oh, I'm doing this just like Nyla would."
I love being in your home. You have such an amazing gift for making your guests feel so relaxed and cared for. When I'm there, I never want to leave!
Thank you for being my friend. I am honored to know you, and really encouraged by this post. I need to do this more, too.

Jen S said...

That is a great post, Nyla. I started the summer with the best intentions to have that daily time with the Lord, but I haven't been as diligent as I wanted to be. I'm like you, I think I will "do that AFTER this" and then it doesn't happen at all sometimes. It's a constant struggle, but SO important. Good for you to do it first thing in the morning. That really does seem to be the best way for me too. I'm going to try again this week. :)Thanks for the motivation!

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

wow... I was just thinking about this last night! You are such an inspiration to all of us! I think we need to encourage each other to do these things, that is what the Body of Christ is for. Oh and I totally agree with Chrissie... I never want to leave your house:) oh and can I also add how much I admire you for waking up at 4:45am! that is incredible...