Monday, June 30, 2008

Kids Day - July 20


Do you remember being a kid and asking your parents, "When is Kids Day?". If you are like me...you asked. It made sense to me, we had Grandparent's Day, Mother's Day and Father's Day...why not Kid's Day. Well, when I asked my parents they always said, "There is no day set aside for Kid's Day because EVERY day is kids day!" So, now I have my own children...and a few days before Father's Day they asked Hubby and I, "Why is there no Kid's Day?" I quickly found myself repeating what I was told...and believing it too! Every day is kid's day!

So, we started thinking. Why not have a Kid's Day? Why not have a special day set aside for them...if it will bring more smiles to their faces and more wonderful memories of their time with us!? Hubby and I are so happy to be blessed with our children...and want to soak them up every day...and before we know it they are going to be grown and on their own.

Later that Day Hubby told the kids we had been thinking about their idea for a "Kids' Day". Their faces started beaming...and they began sighing with excitement as we told them we thought they were right...We are going to make a Kids' Day! They asked if it could be that day! We said no, because we haven't had time to make it special yet. And we felt that since Mother's Day was in May and Father's Day was in June...it would only make sense that Kid's Day should be in July. So our Kid's Day is July 20th. The third Sunday of the month.

I would like to suggest that you make it your Kid's Day too! It doesn't have to be expensive...just a day of fun for them. We are planning a yummy breakfast of choc. chip pancakes with strawberries and whip cream...and jelly beans. Yes, candy for breakfast is what every kid wants. We will probably eat desert before we eat our dinner! I am not sure what all we will do, but I know that it will be as memorable for them as it will be for us!

Love your kids every day...and tell them over and over again! Live each day as if it were your last!

6 comments:

Blake and Hollie said...

I am glad you started your own kids day, Nyla. That will be so special for them. Yes, I do remember growing up and everyday being "kids day" or so I was told LOL! But as a child I didn't think so. We celebrate children's day in early May here (remember my carp post...the flags with all the fish?) They also have a boys day and girls day. It will be also nice because your children will pass that family tradition on to their own children. I can't wait to see your pictures.

Unknown said...

I'm in for Kids Day on July 20! I think it's a great idea. Candy for breakfast, eating dessert first. I love it.
Can I use your idea on Flipflops and Applesauce, too?

Nyla said...

I would be honored to have you use my idea on your blog! :)

Unknown said...

Not for nothing, but this is so unfair! I remember wanting a kids day along with you and there wasn't one. I had to wait til I became a mother! No fair! Now we should add Adult day!

Ha! Cute idea! Maybe your next niece or nephew will be born on Kids Day!

Monique said...

That's a great idea now I'll just have to convince Darrin! :)

Senior Gordon's said...

Mike and I felt the same way when Blake was a little guy. We celebrated Kids Day in July each year. Hollie, ask Blake about the things we did.