Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Doctor Update

Today was a good day at the doctor for me. I found out that the only change I need to make to my diet is really easy! I can no longer take anti-inflammatory drugs! I know that sounds funny...but I love to take Aleve and Motrin to help with my attitude and back pain during that wonderful time of the month...and I can no longer do that! (Look out hubby...JK) I do remember my urologist telling me to limit it (after he removed my kidney), but this doc is saying NEVER use it...I can take Tylenol (so hubby, there me be hope every 28 days! :).

However, yesterday wasn't such a great day for hubby at the doc's office. He has been having some foot problem for the past two weeks. We actually thought maybe he broke his big toe. Now we wish that was all it was! The doc thinks he may have gout. Gout is a very bad form of arthritis...and the diet is so limited! Basically, protein in his system is turned into like glass at the joint...so every time he uses his foot he is in pain! Gout usually is found first in the joints in your foot and could move to his ankles and hands. Protein is what flares it...so we have to limit his protein intake. I feel like everything I am use to doing...lean protein, whole grains, fruits and veggies is everything he needs to stay away from. I am so dreading this diet...but not as much as he is. Unfortunately, I haven't found many recipes on line. I am still trying to find anything interesting and tasty for him. We will find out for sure once the blood work comes back! I am praying that the doc is wrong...but he did x-rays too...and it isn't broke! I have been googling it all day. I was amazed when I read that he could not have WHOLE GRAINS and certain fruits (like apples) and veggies (like asparagus - his favorite) Seriously!? Pray I find fun and interesting things for him to eat. AND that he doesn't have Gout!

We will keep you posted!

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

oh wow! I know that our diets kill us or cure us! I hope you find the right balance for the both of you.

Jill Duarte said...

Oh Nyla...I am so sorry to hear this! I pray that he does not have gout, as it is so very painful. Last year I was checking into gout for a friend and came across something kinda interesting. A lot of people with gout swore by eating cherries (fresh, not juice) and said that it was a HUGE help with the inflammation and pain. Keep us posted on Tom's prognosis. We'll be praying for him.

Nyla said...

Yes, we have heard of that too...so I bought a bunch from Costco today! He has been munching on them all day!

Blake and Hollie said...

We will be praying too! I hope it isn't anything serious. Keep your heads up and try to smile. Keep munching those cherries and let us know as soon as you find out anything.

Xia Diaz said...

I will be sending good vibes to you. You will be in my thoughts. I will keep an eye out for recipes. Hopefully, his diet won't have to change at all.

Monique said...

Oh Nyla! I'm praising the Lord for your health and praying at the same time for T. I can totally relate to having a husband with painful feet as Darrin's feet are really messed up. I'll be praying that you can manage everyone's diet too! You are a fantastic wife so I know you will come up with all kinds of fabulous meals for your family to enjoy!

Shan said...

Yuck! My Dad has gout, but the good thing is that he hasn't had a flare up in years - so it must come and go (and he is NOT one to watch his diet). I will be praying for the pain though - he needs those feet!

Cathi Hamen said...

oh my gosh i am soo sorry to hear about Tom. My father n law has it and he was sharing all the things he cant have... like alcoholic drinks good thing he doesnt like those! hoping with you that is not gout!

Blake and Hollie said...

I know you are busy, but did you get the results back? I have been wondering and praying!!

Julie said...

Im so glad to hear about your health! maybe we should all know your schedule ( i mean the time of the month) so we can help out Tom! HA HA!
Let us know about his foot. We will keep in our prayers. Cherry boy. :))

A Farmer's Wife said...

Oh my goodness! This sounds really, really bad! I hope like crazy the doctor is wrong and I will definitely keep you in my prayers! Wow! If the doctor is right it will take such incredible discipline to maintain that diet...yuck! If I come across anything that might be helpful I will pass it along! Hang in there!!!