Saturday, August 2, 2008

Kidney Update


I have been cancer free for almost 6 years now! (It will be six years on Tiger's Birthday that I had my kidney removed) Most of you know that I go in for yearly tests to be sure that the cancer has not begun to grow in my other kidney...or is anywhere in my blood stream. Every year I am pleased to say that all is well.


I am still pleased to say that all is well. However, this year my urologist did notice that my kidney has lost some of its function. A normal person kidney function should range between 85 - 125. Mine is functioning at 74. We are not terribly worried about it. My doctor has recommended that I go see another urologist that specializes in kidney function management. (My current doctor deals with the surgical part of the kidney.) So, I will be making an appointment with this new doctor this week. The goal of this appointment will be to help me keep my kidney from losing anymore of its function! There are certain foods that I should stay away from or limit myself...pray I am not told to no longer eat chocolate! Ha! JK.


I actually think I have lowered the ability of my kidney to function all on my own! You see, I use to South Beach Diet a lot...and I am finding out now that too much protein is really hard on your kidneys! Thank goodness I quit doing SB and started just running/weight training and eating healthy this summer! Who knows how low my kidney function would be if I did my normal summer routine!(Phase 1, and lots of exercise).


Thank you for those of you who were praying for me during all the tests I have gone through this summer. It is so nice to know that I have such wonderful friends praying for me!


Oh, and the really good news! My doctor told me that I only have to come back annually for the next 4 years...and then he thinks I will be okay coming in every 2 years for all the wonderful tests! Praise God for that!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you're healthy. I'll be anxious to hear what the other doctor has to say.

Cathi Hamen said...

me too! you're in my thoughts and prayers my friend! goood job on phase 1 and eating healthy!!

Cathi Hamen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blake and Hollie said...

I hope you get great news at your appointment. We will be praying for you. You are such a wonderful person and we love you!!

A Farmer's Wife said...

You are the most amazing and inspiring person!!! I love this post! I admire you so much! I am a overly curious person by nature. I think this comes from living in the middle of no where and reading too much! Anyway, did you have little ones when you were going through your cancer? That had to be so difficult and scary! My mom's dad died when she was 8 years old. I have prayed every morning and every night since before the birth of Son #5 that I would live long enough to raise him into adulthood. I can't imagine what this must have been like for you! I am so glad you are well!!! I will pray that continues!

A Farmer's Wife said...

And...as usual...I have to go on forever in my comment...sorry! I was going to tell you that in June some friends of mine from civilization a.k.a. the Phoenix area came to visit. They had this green glass bottle they brought with them and I remember thinking "oh my gosh they brought booz to my home, my husband is going to freak out". I didn't want to make them feel uncomfortable at all because they are life-long family friends so I finally asked about their beverage. They told me about it and gave me some literature to read and left several bottles here of their beverage...a fruit blend called Mona-Vie. I am hooked!!! I drink 1/4 c. morning and another at night. It is packed with antioxidants and has a lot of information in the literature about fighting free radicals in your system. One serving has the antioxidant equivalent of 13 servings of fruit. It is a blend of 19 fruits one of which is the acai (hope I spell that correctly) fruit from the Amazon. Anyway, I think you can go to www.monavie.com for more information. OK - this is way too long! Have a great evening!

Jill Duarte said...

Great news Nyla! I'm so glad things turned out well for you. I'll be praying that the other doctor has only good news too.

Monique said...

Wow, I didn't know that you had cancer before. What kind of cancer was it? Sounds like you have come a long way and praise the Lord for your health now!