Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Strength of a Mom

I had no idea how strong I am! If someone would have asked me yesterday, "Do you think you could walk your dogs with one hand, pull Little Guy's bike with the other hand AND carry Little Guy on your hip...for about 3 tenths of a mile? I think I would have laughed right in their face! Why would I ever do that?!

Yesterday we went to the beach at 10:30 and stayed until 4. We then went to TJ's and then Starbucks. We got home around 5...quickly brought in the beach stuff and groceries. Hubby was home at 6 and wanted to go bike riding again around the regional park. I thought the kids might be a little too tired to go for a bike ride.(which is why I am giving you a play by play of our day) When Hubby asked them though, they were thrilled to go for a ride. So we packed up all the bikes and dogs and headed out.

I really wanted to bring the dogs...they had been locked in their play pen all day...I thought a 4 mile walk would be good for them. So, I stayed with Little Guy and the pups. Tom and the older kids were off! We met up at the park and let the kids play! (did I mention yet that we had not had dinner?) Anyway, on our ride back to the car, Little Guy took a little fall off his bike. He had fallen a few times earlier and each time got up and kept going. But the sun was setting, he was tired and hungry...and this tiny fall felt like the end of the world to him. He couldn't get back on his bike! I stood there...trying to think of what to do...I had given my cell phone to Hubby when we were at the park...so I told Little Guy he could walk and I would pull his bike. He just kept crying...and I watched the tears roll down his dirty little face...I just couldn't take it any more...I picked him up and began carrying him with the same arm that was walking the dogs.

The whole time I am carrying him I am asking the Lord for more strength. I knew that we had close to half a mile left. I wasn't sure if I could make it. I also tried to stay positive...this was a great bicep workout (did I mention I had lifted that am...and my biceps were already sore?) I am walking and he is crying in my ear...and I am starting to question why I ever said yes to this bike ride...I knew he would be tired! Then around the corner I see my husband.

I didn't see him riding up to me on his nice red bike, NO! I saw my knight in shinning armour coming to rescue me! He smiled at me and shook his head! Oh, he was proud of me! He took Little Guy from me with one swoop! I couldn't believe my eyes! Hubby rode his bike and held Little Guy in his arms! What a MAN! He took him all the way to the car...and once he reached the car I saw Tiger jump out. He ran to me and said, "Mom can I take Little Guy's bike for you?" I was in heaven. My boys are amazing! At that moment I was so happy we decided to go for a bike ride. It was my idea! Ha!

8 comments:

The Jessie James Gang said...

Sounds like your older boy is taking after your knight in shining armor :). Great post.

A Farmer's Wife said...

You are superwoman!!! Way to go! And what a great husband and boys you have!!! I love this post!

Shelley said...

speaks highly of your son's raising, that he was fast to assist mommy!

Unknown said...

I love your family.

Monique said...

I love that! The way you told it made me laugh because I've soooo been there except it is usually when no one is around to help. Glad the boys were able to help you!

Jen S said...

You are a superwoman! My Knight in Shining Armor would have probably found me crying on the side of the road with the crying baby.

Blake and Hollie said...

I would have been crying too. Crying little boy, crying dogs, heck even the bike would have been crying. You are awesome! Thanks for giving me strength. Next time I am in a situation that is similar I am going to think of you and your story.

Senior Gordon's said...

Mike says, that was an inspirational story. Well done, Lady Nyla and Sir Thomas!