Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Finger Sucking Accountability




We are still trying to help our little ones overcome their habit of finger sucking. My hubby and I have not been on the same page when it comes to finger sucking...so after a little discussion the night before last...I am on board with hubby. NO MORE THUMB SUCKING. (I think I am not bothered by the thumb sucking because it means my little one is still little...sigh) Hubby really wants Little Guy to stop...so I am enforcing it now. It was not as hard as I thought it would be. I politely asked him to take his finger out about 352 times yesterday! He would smile at me each time and then take it out...he knew better. Little Guy, I am happy to say, did a fine job yesterday.

So all day I was wondering what to do at night. I figured hubby and I were going to have to decide if it was okay for Little Guy to suck his fingers at night. You see, Cutie is 8 now and still sucks the two middle fingers at night. I really don't have a problem with it. So I was a little surprised yesterday when she came to me with an idea.

Cutie: Mom, can Little Guy sleep in my room tonight? I could help him not suck his thumb.
Me: I don't know if I want you telling Little Guy to take his thumb out...you aren't the mommy honey. It is nice of you to want to help him though.
Chloe: No mom, I thought we could help each other.
Me: How are you going to do that?
Chloe: Well, I was thinking we could sleep holding hands. He can hold my fingers and I could hold his hand.
Me: (beaming) I think that sounds fantastic. Great idea to help hold one another accountable.

This is where I wish I could write that it worked! However, they had such a hard time falling asleep...I was so tired and couldn't take all the giggling last night. I usually can do it...but we had friends over yesterday...and then went bike riding when hubby got home...so by the time they were in bed it was almost 10. I was done...I just wanted the house quiet...I wanted to take off the mommy hat. So, I separated them at 10:20...but promised they could try again tomorrow night (today). Oh, they both were sucking when I went to bed last night. Some battles I just am too tired to deal with! I am glad we are kicking the day time habit...we will get there! Oh, and they posed for these pictures...they weren't really asleep yet!

8 comments:

The Jessie James Gang said...

That is so sweet :)

Unknown said...

They are so cute together. Your kids really love eachother.

Monique said...

When my kids are older I hope my kids love each other just as much as your kids do!

A Farmer's Wife said...

DARLING children!!! I think it's so sweet that your daughter wanted to help him, I love her idea! I can tell that you have wonderful children and they have wonderful parents!

Blake and Hollie said...

Can Cutie fly over here an help me kick my coffee drinking habit? I drink WAY too much. I think you are doing a fantastic job. The night time will be the worst. You are doing a great job, Mom! Get some rest. I love the "pretend" sleeping photos...so cute.

Senior Gordon's said...

Mike and I thought Chloe's suggestion to help her little brother was so brilliant and loving!

Nyla, I remember another little girl who liked to suck two fingers too and she turned out just fine. I also know her aunt and uncle liked their thumbs' and they turned out just fine too.

Suzie said...

I'm going through it with a pacifier but I keep thinking by the time they're in high school they should be over it or at least know enough to hide it.

Annette said...

That is so cute, I have an 8 year old that has sucked her thumb and held on to this "kitty" and rubs the tag on her nose since was an infant! Ive tried taking it a few times when she forgets where he is at but after three days my hubby says"Let me give it back to her!" She is the youngest of four kids. My 16 year old says "she is way too old for that" but I guess we also want her to stay little as she is the last. Your kids are too cute