Thursday, July 31, 2008

Guess who isn't in NJ?

I feel like a complete idiot!
I cleaned my whole house...made a few meals and put them in the freezer for my hubby and kids...wrote cute little post it notes and placed them all over the house...packed my bag...put it in the car...loaded my kids into the car...printed our my itinerary...got in the car...drove off to the airport...checked my RETURN flight to let Tom know when to pick me up on Monday...

Then it happened!

I had the wrong time written down for my flight. I was suppose to leave at 3:45pm NOT 9:20! The emotions that overcame me were intense! What do I do? Who do I call? Travelocity, Continental? Tom quickly turned the car around...I called Travelocity...but they couldn't help...well they did give me the number to Continental. So, I called them...and was told that everything was booked. The agent told me to go to the airport and see if I could fly stand by. So Tom drove me to the airport. And the agent there told me that everything was oversold. AND since I didn't call to tell them I wasn't making the flight (give me a break...how can I call them and tell them I am going to miss my flight? I didn't know I was going to miss it.)they went ahead and canceled my return flight. She told me she could get me on the 7:30am flight tomorrow...but it would cost me $1041! Yeah, like anyone can drop that kind of money with no notice (those of you that can...good for you) So, since I couldn't go stand by (because they overbooked the 9:20 flight by 2 people) I had to take a credit voucher for my flight. I began to cry infront of the lady and called my husband to come pick me up!

Then I called my sister! She was as devastated as I was...we couldn't even speak past all the tears. Why did I not double check my ticket? I am the most organized person I know! Such a bummer...I have such a headache. I don't want to even think about my sister's poor kids. They are going to wake up tomorrow excited to see me...only I won't be there...my sister has to tell them I missed my flight. I can't imagine how my sister is feeling...her house was all ready for me to arrive...the kids were all tucked away in their beds...and then I call and tell her what happened! Such an idiot!

Well, I did find another ticket. I had to pay another $175. I am flying on the 21st...three weeks from today. The only positive thing I can think of right now, is how wonderful my hubby is. He never yelled at me, never acted upset...he just felt sorry for me and my sister. He didn't even flinch at shelling our another $175 for my trip. He is amazing. I am the luckiest girl in the world to be married to such a wonderful man. He is such a blessing to me. I am going to go hug him...I haven't thanked him yet!

8 comments:

Monique said...

Oh Nyla! That stinks! I can't stand it when I make mistakes that financially cost us. I feel like crying with you though you are probably not crying anymore but praising the Lord for your awesome hubby and most likely resting in his sovereign control over your trip. 3 more weeks to prepare! :)

Jen S said...

Wow, Nyla! I'm so sorry, but this is one of those situations where you have to believe that all things work together for good! I'm glad you were able to schedule for the 21st!

Blake and Hollie said...

Oh, no! It is okay. I know you were so ecited, but you know what? There is a reason you didn't make that flight. There is a reason why you are meant to be home for these 3 weeks before you try your trip again. I know it is disappointing, but you get to look forward to seeing your sister and family again. Hang in there it just wasn't your day. ((Hugs))

The Jessie James Gang said...

Thats terrible! I have missed several flights too - I know the feeling!

Unknown said...

Things happen...I'm over myself crying self now : ) I think it;s easier knowing you are still going to come. And Cami will be on more of a schedule. I can't believe how torn up I got. I miss my blister something AWFUL. Can't wait for the next 20 days to go by now! I love you mama! Call me when you get up.

A Farmer's Wife said...

I am so sorry that happened to you!!! I am certain there's a reason this happened because I always believe that everything happens for a reason & God is totally in charge. I think I would be totally devastated over not going and completely relieved at getting to stay home all at once. Does that make any sense? I am a hermit though. I love and miss my Arizona family so incredibly much yet I really do not like to leave home! I hope you have the best day today!!!

Unknown said...

Nyla, I'm so sorry! It's kind of like the time I lost my passport AND driver's lisence just before I was supposed to board a plane for Spain. I was a wreck too.

I think it's so sweet how you and your sister were SO sad and missing each other. It's good to realize how much you need and love each other.

Lots of love to you, sweet friend. It's all good.

Senior Gordon's said...

Nyla, what a day you've had. I'm so sorry it was so disruptive, but...you learned something today...Tom is still wonderful! Janelle is sad you won't be there now, but is still excited you are ocming in 3 weeks and YOU are are getting 3 more weeks with your family before leaving. You only have 21 more sleeps. You can do that, no sweat! I love you!!!