Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What is a Monk?


At our school the children move from class to class as if they were in HS! It is amazing to me how blessed I am and my children are at this school! Anyway, I teach History to the 1-2 graders this year three times a week. We are studying the Middle Ages and yesterday we learned about Monks and how they taught the Anglo-Saxons about Christianity. I happen to start the lesson off with a question.

Me: When I say Monk, who thinks they know what I am talking about?
Student: I know! They are men that only have hair on the sides and back of their head...and a lot of it, but they don't have any hair on the top of their heads!

I tried so hard not to chuckle! Let's be honest, when I think of monks, I think the same thing! Don't you? From the looks of this picture, I think my student is justified in his stereotype of monks!

7 comments:

Shan said...

soooooo is it mandatory that they have that kind of hair??????

Nyla said...

I don't think so...but it sure looks like it! :)

Unknown said...

Matt must be a monk.

Nyla said...

Chrissie,I am LOL!

Rachel said...

that is so funny!

A Farmer's Wife said...

How funny!!! AND how fun to teach history!!!

Rebecca said...

I would have said a monk is the name of that guy who is OCD on USA Network!