Friday, July 25, 2008

A Special Morning

I woke up this am...and as usual headed to the gym. I returned home to find Tiger awake! I was a little surprised...it was only 6:15. His eyes were still half shut...maybe I slammed the door when I came home?

I finally convinced him to go back to my bed and try and sleep a little more. He was willing to do this for me, probably because it was my bed he was stumbling back into. I whipped up my protein shake and had a thought. So I grabbed the "motherhood journal" I wrote in when he was still in my womb. I had plans to take him out to Starbucks and read it to him there...for our date night last week...but hubby ended up working late...and date night never happened.

I cuddled up next to him and began to read all my thoughts to him. It was so special...just the two of us...stealing a few quiet minutes together. Tiger is a people pleaser...he want to make sure everyone is happy...even if it means sacrificing his own happiness. (I wish all my kids had that personality...but then what would be special about Tiger?)

Anyway, I almost cried reading my thoughts to him. There is so much I had forgotten...the first time hubby felt Tiger kick...how Cutie would rub my belly at night and sing to Tiger...how I couldn't eat or smell eggs...all the names we were thinking of (and we chose none of those)...how my dad cried watching Tiger's birth (my dad doesn't cry)...how much Tiger cried until the nurse handed him to me...how I thought he had a pack with his dad from day one (you see Hubby went to change his poopy diaper the first night home from the hospital...and it took three diapers to change him because he kept pooping) Hubby didn't change a diaper for a long time after that. Tiger wouldn't nap in the crib until I put the shirt I was wearing in his crib...he needed to smell me all the time...I had forgotten so much...and was/am so glad that I wrote it all down.

It was a really special time for Tiger and I. Little Guy came in towards the end...and was a little bummed there weren't any pictures of him (we had moved onto the baby book)...and of course Little Guy is always saying cute things.

Little Guy: Oh look! Tiger is wearing my pjs in this picture...oh, and in this picture he is wearing my shirt!

Little Guy was so proud...Tiger and I just smiled at one another...we didn't have the heart to remind him they were Tiger's jammies before they became Little Guy's jammies!

Reflecting back on my special morning with Tiger...I am reminded how I need to continue journaling about my feelings of being a mother...I think my children will love to read it when they are grown and have children of their own...but probably not as much as I will!

7 comments:

Jen S said...

That is so sweet, Nyla. Reminds me I need to keep writing in my journals too. We think we will remember all the little details, but sadly we won't unless we write them down!

Unknown said...

Amazing. It is so great that you wrote all those things down. What a precious time. He will never forget it!

Blake and Hollie said...

Oh, that is so awesome. It is incredible how much we do forget. I guess you did realize how much you need to keep that pen moving. I also have something to send you. We can put our blog on CD's too so we can preserve out memories this way too (unless you already have it). I am so glad you enjoyed your time with Tiger. I know they like hearing stories about themselves.

Rachel said...

That is so sweet Nyla! What a great idea!

Nyla said...

Yes! Hollie please tell me how to do that! I would love to have a CD od my blog! :)

A Farmer's Wife said...

What a wonderful person and mother you are!!! Thank you so much for your constant inspiration! I love that you took the time to not only keep a journal but also to read it with your son - what a special moment!!!

Cathi Hamen said...

oh i have a mothers journal too and every time i read it it makes cry!!!! l love it, its a great reminder of how fast they grow!!!!!!!! cherish every moment!